Kindle Cover {Tutorial}

Kindle Covers

As promised, here is my Kindle Cover tutorial {sorry for the delay…we had some friends come visit, and I didn’t coordinate my time before their arrival very well – but we had a blast!}.

Supplies:
1 Charm pack or assorted scraps {for outside}
5/8 yard print
Velcro
Elastic {choose a color to match the reader, not the cover – I used black}
Buckle {optional}

First, measure your reader, my Kindle Fire measures 7 1/2″ x 4 1/2″.  To determine the measurement, double the width and then add 2 1/4″ {note, the Kindle Fire that I have measure about 1/2″ thick.  If your reader is flat or nearly flat, remove 1/2″ from the width.  For the height, add 3/4″.  So, the finished measurement for the Kindle Fire cover is 11 1/4″ x 8 1/4″.

Arrange your fabric as desired for the outside.  For the cover on the top I used half hexagons, you can print the template here.  For the cover on the bottom I used blocks from The Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt book.

After piecing the outside {I am hoping to make a few more of these, so I’ll update with other ideas!}, layer with batting and quilt to a piece of fabric.  Next, cut to pieces of fabric 1/4″ narrower than the cover, fold these in half to make the pockets for the inside of the cover.  There should be a gap between the pieces, as shown:

Along the folded side of the left pocket, stitch the elastic in place separate from the outside of the cover.  Stitch 1/8″ and 1/4″ from the edge {by stitching in two places, the pocket does not curl up when the Kindle is placed in the cover}, as shown:

Stitch the loop side of the Velcro closure to the front of the cover.  Then, place both pockets on the wrong side of the cover and stitch 1/8″ from edge of cover outside to keep pockets in place.  Then, attach the other sides of the two elastics, plus the remaining two elastics in the corners, as shown:

Next, make the closure as you desire.  Here are the two methods I used, the buckle{honestly, I didn’t write down the dimensions because it will vary for any buckle!}:

and the flap {my flap is 2 1/4″ wide before seam allowances}:

Sew your closure to the outside of the cover before sewing the binding, like this:

Then, cut one 1 1/2″ x WOF strip for the binding.  I’m going to use a single fold binding method.  The construction is similar to the traditional double fold {see my binding tutorial}.  Sew the binding to the outside of the cover:

Then finish the binding like this:

I had originally machine finished my binding on the Farmer’s Wife Kindle Cover, but since I decided to change the white elastics out for black, I was happier with the hand stitching on the Hexagon Kindle Cover, so I hand stitched the binding back down, here’s the before:

And the after:

I think it is much improved!  Then, I just cut a piece of plastic canvas and slip it in one {or both} of the pockets to give it a nice sturdy shape!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I am making a cover for a friend, and she has a Kindle Keyboard, so I will update with details on arranging the elastics for minimal interference you can see it here!

And, if you make a cover using this tutorial, I’d love to see it!  Please post it to our Flickr group!

a mom, sewer, quilter, and lover of all kinds of pretty fabric and handbags!

Latest posts by Jennie (see all)

Comments

Jennie, is there anything you can’t do? You have such a talent and I so enjoy seeing your creations. Beautiful quilted covers and wonderful tutorials.

So pretty and functional! Your tutorial is great. I always get myself all confused when thinking about the inside-out stuff. Half the time I get it wrong and have to redo it!

3. Anonymous says

Will you be selling these on Etsy? Love your tutorial, and I do sew, but an Etsy purchase would be so nice.

I don’t have the Farmer’s Wife Sampler book (yet?). I love the kindler cover in the melon color. Can you tell me the name of the block>

Ok, I’m going to try and make one today!! I’M not good at following directions. I’m a little confused when you talk about sewing the elastic strips on because in one picture you have the pocket folded and then I think it’s turned another way in the other picture. I get so confused but I’ll just jump in and figure it out as I go. I’m a beginner at projects like this which is a long way from sewing a straight line.
    Gmama Jane

Very cute! Will make one but will scale it to fit my tab (when hubs gets it for me! ;)). Was wondering if interfacing (strong ones) will make it sturdy?

This is a great project. I am to the point of sewing on the elastic. I am making this for someone else and do not have the Kindle Fire here. I am uncertain about how far down the side to place the elastic so that it fits over the corner and not in the screen area. I think it is about 1 1/4 inches. Does that seem about right?

• says

The elastics are actually about 2″ down the sides {if you include the part that is under the binding} and 1 3/4″ from the bottom corners {also counting the portion under the binding}. I hope this helps. I could not e-mail a reply to your comment because there is no e-mail address in your profile.

8. Tiffany D. says

Love this tutorial! I made one for a Kindle Touch and I added a pocket to the left and a slot for the light that M-Edge makes to the right. It was for my brother’s girlfriend’s graduation, but I may make one for myself now.

Oh my goodness, I absolutely love these. I have a Nook, and just recently purchased a leather cover with a little stand attached so I can stand the Nook up on the table while reading if I want. I almost wish I didn’t have it because I love these so much! Good for you for making such a wonderful, useful, beautiful item. And thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Julie
    Julie recently posted..A Quilting We Will Go!My Profile

Hi there, I just posted a blog post on using your Kindle cover blended with another blogger’s cover to make a hybrid cover for my new Kindle 8.9″. I didn’t give any of your measurements and made sure to link back to you and the other blogger so I hope that’s ok. Thanks for a great tutorial. I can’t wait to browse more of your stuff (on my new tablet, of course!) You can see the post here http://bethstrand.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/one-hybrid-kindle-cover-aka-why-i-baste-things-and-keep-my-seam-ripper-handy/
    Beth Strand recently posted..One Hybrid Kindle Cover (aka “Why I Baste Things and Keep My Seam Ripper Handy”)My Profile

11. Marcia González says

Gracias, por este gran tutorial, hice un cubierta para la tablet de mi marido y quedaron todos encantados, y ahora mi nieto Santiago me pidió una para él, en cuanto tenga un momento subo las fotos. Gracias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1