New Pincushions and Favorite Pins

These two pincushions arrived in the mail for me from Jennie. She did such an adorable job with them that I wanted to share them on here. The original pincushions she made were for a project for the Riley Blake Cutting Corners blog and she made an extra set for me! I included the post so if you wanted to see them and the tutorial you could easily go there. I love searching their blog to see all of the great tutorials, every Friday they feature new pincushion tutorials using Riley Blake fabric.

DSC_9811This picture has my new bag in it and I love it!! I think Sophie is one of my all-time favorite fabrics!! Of course, I also love The Sweetest Thing, and all of the fabrics Jennie used in these pincushions.

DSC_1154I added my favorite pins!

DSC_1157 The smaller pincushion has my smaller white pins. Now when I need just the white I can reach for this pincushion and there they are.

DSC_1166The larger pincushion is filled with my favorite yellow pins.

DSC_1154Side by side!

DSC_1163The pins with the yellow heads are my favorite for everyday sewing and quilting, I use the white headed pins mainly when I am matching seams. They work great because they are a little smaller and they seem to slip in between the seams better, or at least I think so!! The other thing that is great about them is that they are available at JOANN Fabric stores and the best value is when they have their 50% off coupons!

DSC_1171Lastly, I have my little strawberry filled with emery to keep my pins and needles sharp!

I am interested, do you have favorite pins?

a grandma and mom who loves to sew, quilt, and learn new things.

Latest posts by Clara (see all)

Comments

1. Cynthia says

I love your bag and your pincushions! You gave me some good ideas. I really like clover’s extra fine pins. You can sew over them on the machine and they never break needles :)

Cute pin cushions. Looks like small soap bars almost, or cute sponges. Really cool! :D Favorite pins. I have long ones and short ones. I prefer using the short ones though. They are easier to pin. Didn’t know about emery… What is that? Where do I find it?
    Thanks for your comment on my last post. I had a BLAST reading all the messages from all us “nutty” crafty people. Ha ha ha. I guess I touched a soft spot. :D
    Annette ♥♥♥
    Annette recently posted..Happy is the word of the dayMy Profile

Sweet bag and pin cushions!! I buy the pins that are the colors I like but I am going to pick up some of those white pins at Joann’s next notions sale. Your idea to use the shorties to match up seams is something that sounds like work for me. I am going to have to choose a pin cushion to make over at Riley Blake for them so I can easily find them when I need them too.

I have both the yellow and white pins that you do and I also prefer the yellow ones. However, for Christmas I received some very cool heart pins – long enough for quilting. I consider them my ‘best’ pins. I have recently made two new pin cushions in the shape of birds for the Across the Pond Sew Along – one for my everyday pins and one for my heart pins.
    The Patchsmith recently posted..Next in the Pecking Order …..My Profile

5. Suz says

I don’t have favourite pins but I do have favorite pin cushions. I am curious about emery? What does it look like and where do you buy it? ( probably not in Australia?! )

I just use some with multicolored, kind of pearly looking tops, like yours but different colors. I can grab the tops easily and that’s why I like them.

Hehe! I love how you load your pincushions up so much! Also…I don’t think the photos do justice to how large the bigger one really is…more like a pin mattress than cushion!

8. wendy thomas says

I too love the yellow pins for quilting but my absolute favorite are the butterfly and flower pins from dirtz and I love the directional pins from fons and porter for quilt piecing

9. Melodeecartin says

I have been planning to make separate pinchusions – one for just. Needles, one for the big pins, one for my smaller appliqué pins – just haven’t gotten around to it. Maybe now I will. Thanks for the inspiration!