Sew Thinky Thursday {Week 2}

I’m linking up again this week with Emily’s Sew Thinky Thursday, you can read more about it here.  Her question of the week is:

What is the most meaningful thing you’ve ever made?

kids-quilts

I wasn’t able to narrow it down to one most meaningful thing, because I have two children!  Here is a picture of both their baby quilts.  Before we moved to California my mom gave me all my baby blankets she had saved for me, and they are so special!  As a child I remember playing with them for dolls, forts, and all sorts of things.  Now, my own children have their own collections {which keep growing}, and I hope they have some similar memories.

Norah’s blanket {left} is made with Bliss using a pattern from Camille Roskelley’s book, Simplify.  You can read more about this quilt here.  Silas’s quilt {center}  was made as a joint effort by both my mom and me.  The fabric is Flights of Fancy and we designed the pattern ourselves, so that the big prints would get lots of attention.  You can read more about it here.

And, let me add a bit about the quilt on the rocking chair…my mom made this one for Norah, and it is very special too!  The fabric is Ruby and the pattern is Sugar Dish by Cluck, Cluck, Sew.  You can read more about it here.

I also have photographs of each of my children on their special blankets as newborns.  And, because I’m talking about them, here are a couple photos they posed for this morning.

little boy

little girl

I’ve got two pretty special little ones, it’s fun to celebrate them with a quilt too!

Linking up with:
8435241044_961c6d7f1e_o

a mom, sewer, quilter, and lover of all kinds of pretty fabric and handbags!

Comments

1. 2

says

Such pretty pictures, I love seeing Silas and Norah always. Also, their quilts are so fun to see and I know how loved they are by them already!!

2. 3

says

Your kids are of course totally cute (Silas is so grown up!) and I think the quilts you’ve made for them will be cherished for long time in your family. :) Kind of an off-topic question, but does Norah have grey eyes? My brother-in-law is an optometrist and he was telling me how rare it is to have true-grey eyes. From the picture it looks like she might.
    Jenelle recently posted..Guest Posting / WIP WednesdayMy Profile

• 4

says

Jenelle,
      I think Norah’s eyes are blue, but interestingly when Jennie was a little girl she had grey eyes, they were kind of smokey, I thought they were really pretty. They did change as she got older to green, like both her grandpa’s.

3. 5

says

Cute quilts, adorable kiddie-poos. I think the most meaningful thing I’ve made are the quilts & blankets I’ve made for Quilts for Kids and our local fire department and the clothes I’ve altered for SewMuchComfort, an organization that adapts clothing for injured soldiers. Right now, I’m making a Cuddle quilt for a little boy with autism, and it’s so personally gratifying to know how much comfort it’s going to provide him.
    Karin recently posted..Burp Cloths for Baby – Custom Personalized Embroidered Set of 2 by SewWriteCreationsMy Profile

4. 7

says

Oh my! Your kids are getting so big! They are so adorable. I almost forgot to link up this week. I feel bad – I have two kids, but I still haven’t made any quilts specifically for them! They are Norah’s age, and have about a million baby blankets from other people, so hopefully once they are Silas’ age, they will need new ones! ;)
    Tiffany recently posted..Advice?My Profile

5. 9

says

I made my mom a quilt from vintage handkerchiefs, which she collects, and I also made a toddler quilt for my older daughter. She’s not in a toddler bed anymore, so she is using the first quilt I ever made, which is my own. All three of them are special because they took so long to make. My own quilt is made from fabric that came from a lot of my first sewing projects, plus there is fabric to represent some of my family and friends (like daffodils for my best friend). There is some fabric from my teaching days and things like that. I made it before my girls were born, so if I ever do another one, which I want to, I’m sure it will be even more special.