I am planning to make some new holiday decor this year, and I’m starting with a pillow out of this pixelated present box. I wanted to find a way to use a lot of the fun Christmas prints I have, and this block came to mind. If you’d like to make one too, you’ll find all the easy directions below, this would be a great scrap buster too! Let’s get started.
Read all directions before beginning. All seams allowances are 1/4″. RST = Right Sides Together
- 30 – 2 1/2″ squares – Patchwork
- 2 – 2 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ strips – Ribbon
- 1 – 2 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ strips Ribbon
- 1 – 3 7/8″ square – Ribbon
- 1 – 3 7/8″ square – Background
- 2 – 3 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ – Background
- 2 – 3 1/2″ x 15 1/2″ – Background
- 1 – 2 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ – Background
- 1 – 3 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ – Background
Begin by choosing fabric for the ribbon and patchwork. Arrange your squares as desired (I ended up rearranging while sewing to keep the turquoise away from the ribbon!).
Sew the patchwork in rows, then sew the rows to the ribbon.
For the bow at the top, take the two 3 7/8″ squares and place them RST, draw a diagonal line down one square, then sew 1/4″ on either side of the line. Cut on the drawn line and press the squares open. Press one seam toward the background fabric and one seam toward the ribbon fabric.
Sew the bow and the two side pieces together, then sew to the top.
For the border I added 3 1/2″ sides and bottom, and a 2 1/2″ top. This is your opportunity to adjust the size of the block. My block finishes at 20″, and I’m going to make it into a quilted pillow. But, for an 18″ block, use 2 1/2″ sides and bottom, and a 1 1/2″ top. I put the smaller strip on the top, since my block is going to be a pillow, but switching the top and bottom would work out well too. Similarly, if you don’t need the block to be square, you could use even top/sides/bottom. It really allows you to adjust for any size.
If you make this block, I’d love to see it, send me an e-mail or tag me on social media and use the hashtag #pixelatedpresent and #cloverandvioletpatterns. Hope your holiday season is off to a great start!
Latest posts by Jennie (see all)
- Giant Economy Block Pillow :: Free Pattern - February 6, 2017
- Flora Supply Case Sew Along :: Other Uses - January 20, 2017
- Flora Supply Case Sew Along :: Alternate Pocket Ideas #florasewalong - January 12, 2017