Patchwork & Ribbons …


I saw these wooden ring Bunny Ear Teethers on Instagram and Etsy and had to have one for Lydia.  But, naturally, I wanted it to be a patchwork one.  And since she really likes those ribbon blankies, I thought maybe adding some ribbon and ric rac would be a great addition.  These are super easy to make, and I’m sure there are lots of tutorials, but here’s the simple way I made mine. Download the PDF shape here! I plan to make a couple of the fabric parts, so when one’s in the wash, I’ll have a spare too.


Sew together a variety of 5″ strips that are between 1 1/2″ and 2 1/2″ in width until the piece measures about 16″ long x 5″ wide.


Fold the patchwork in half and cut to the bunny ear shape.  Add ribbons and ric rac if desired.


Place right sides together on a rectangle of Cuddle fabric {Shannon is my favorite!} and stitch around the edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance.  Leave a 3″ opening on one edge {I recommend stay stitching if the opening is over seams of the patchwork}.


Trim the Cuddle and clip the curves {it creates a lot of fuzz, so I do mine over a trash can!}.  Then carefully turn the bunny ears right side out through the opening.


Then, top stitch 1/8″ around the edge, stitching the opening closed.  Additionally, stitch along seam lines if desired. Then loop it through a wooden ring {I got mine from Sunny Sprout} and give it to your favorite baby:


Blend Fabrics Bags for …


It seems like I was just frantically preparing for Fall Quilt Market and Lydia’s birth…and suddenly Spring Quilt Market is almost here!  I am not sure why the months are racing by me so fast {though, I suspect three little ones might have something to do with it!}.

Anyway, here are the bags we’re sending to Quilt Market with Blend Fabrics.  The two clutches were made by me, and the two large bags were beautifully stitched by Sandie of crazy’boutquilts. So, here are the bags {above you see the front of the Emma clutch out of Maisie by Maude Asbury}:


The back of the Emma clutch :: Maisie by Maude Asbury


the Caitlin pouch :: Topiary by Amanda Murphy


the Stella diaper bag :: Blown Away by Josephine Kimberling {sewn by Sandie of crazy’boutquilts}


the Madeline bag :: Clementine by Ana Davis {sewn by Sandie of crazy’boutquilts}


And, one last, super exciting note: if all goes as planned, I’ll be there too! It is hard to express through typing, but I am so excited!

If you’re going, I’d love to meet you!  And if not, I plan to bring back lots of pictures, anything you specifically hope to see?

A Cupcake Bib and a …


I made this simple bib for baby Lydia and finished the raw edge with ric rac instead of binding for a quicker, easier finish. I really like the contrast of the pink and blue fabrics.


I used a couple of small pieces of Velcro for closure and it was done in no time, I can’t wait to see it on her.


Here are the fabrics we chose for our newest project: a different style of diaper bag! It has lots of pretty Scrumptious and some Ruby by Bonnie and Camille for Moda. Also some Moda Crossweave for the main fabric! I had so much fun having all this pretty fabric delivered to my house.


We wanted to use smaller squares so I cut down 5″ charms and look at the cute scraps I was left with. We may not use all the colors in the line on this one project, just not sure yet.  But these scraps are so pretty I think I need to plan a little project for them too!

Hand Quilting and …

mini-quilt-1I started some hand quilting this summer, but it ended up in a bag in a corner after we arrived in New York.  After my mom’s post on hand quilting, I thought it was about time to dig it out and finish it. I would love to hand quilt a larger quilt {maybe lap size?}, but feel I need more practice first.  When I saw this print, it seemed like the perfect place to start.


The more I worked on it, the more comfortable I felt with my quilting.  I used an embroidery needle because I was using Pearle cotton thread, but I may try something different next time {perhaps an Aurifil 12wt and a quilting needle?}.  I think I need a hoop/frame too…


My stitches were much less even on the back {I know it’s hard to see!}, but I think that will come with practice too.  I have been reading {and re-reading} Anna Maria Horner’s tutorial here and her Q&A here.  One thing I definitely needed was a good thimble.  I saw Rachel of Stitched in Color’s mention of these sticky thimbles, so I decided to give them a try.

I cut one of these Thimble-It stickies in half and stuck them to my first and middle fingers.  They worked well as far as keeping my fingers comfortable, but the edges stuck to my thread a little bit {I wonder if I need to trim them down a bit as I have small fingers}.


I will continue to give these a try, but would love some other suggestions/ideas, if you have a thimble you really love!  I’m thinking maybe the leather sticky ones?

Spell it with Fabric …

Here are my completed letters from Spell it with Fabric, a blog hop by Moda designers {the easiest way to find individual letters is just to search “Spell it with Fabric” and then what letter you’re looking for, I couldn’t find a list that went directly to the individual designer’s posts}:


J is for Jennie. I did the binding on these late last night. You can find the directions for the letter “J” at Lauren & Jesse Jung’s blog.


The back. It is all ready to be delivered to her. Can’t wait to visit with all of them soon.


My letter C. It will go nicely in my sewing room.  You can find the “C” directions at Bonnie of Cotton Way’s blog here.


And the back of it. Some wavy lines in a circle pattern for the quilting. I had fun playing with fmq.

I am ready to start some new projects. Hopefully, a new quilt. I have many patterns that I would love to make. Seeing all the quilts on Instagram have me wanting to start another one.