It’s that time of year again, Fall Quilt Market is this weekend! We had the privilage of sewing with one of RJR Fabrics new lines, Lovebirds by Patrick Lose! We have a new pattern and a free pattern in the works, but for today, I wanted to share a ruffly version of our patchwork book bag!
- 6 – 10″ x 2 1/2″ strips for flat strips
- 2 – 14″ x 2 1/2″ strips for ruffle strips
- 1 – 10″ x 5″ strip for back
- 2 – 10″ x 11″ rectangles for lining
- 2 – 4″ x 16″ strips for handles
- 1 – 2 1/2″ x 25″ strip for binding
Batting & Supplies:
- 2 – 11″ x 12″ rectangles flannel
- Coordinating thread for quilting
- Ruffler foot (optional)
Read all directions before beginning. All seam allowances 1/4″ unless otherwise stated.
Gather the two 14″ x 2 1/2″ strips until they are 10″ wide. The strips can be gathered by setting your sewing machine to a long stitch and then sewing 1/8″ from each long edge. Then, select one thread (top or bottom) and pull gently to gather the fabrics.
Sew the two ruffle rows lengthwise between three of the 10″ x 2 1/2″ strips to make the front. Place the patchwork panel on the 11″ x 12″ piece of flannel and quilt in place (we stitched 1/8″ from each seam. Trim the flannel to the size of the patchwork.
Make handles by folding the 16″ x 4″ strips in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and pressing. Unfold and then fold the outer edges toward the center. Fold in half along crease, then top stitch 1/8″ from each edge. Position the handles 2 1/2″ from each edge.
Fold binding strip in half, lengthwise, and press. Sew to the top edge of the bag with the folded edge down. Use your favorite method to join binding (I love this tutorial – scroll to “Joining Your Binding”!).
Fold the binding around to the inside of the bag and top stitch close to the edge of the binding, stitching the binding in place on the back. When you come to a handle, fold the handle up and stitch through the handle and binding.
Latest posts by Jennie (see all)
- Flora Supply Case Sew Along :: Other Uses - January 20, 2017
- Flora Supply Case Sew Along :: Alternate Pocket Ideas #florasewalong - January 12, 2017
- Announcing the 2017 Finish-A-Long Hosts - January 11, 2017